Thursday, November 18, 2010

The interview

This afternoon, I endured my first job interview in five years.  Ego-bruising and nerve-wrecking as they can be, I felt blithe and carefree, which is surprising because my heart starts to pound if I even THINK about asking a question during a conference session.  My easy going demeanor was no doubt the result of the job being one that paid $10 an hour and would, in no way, add anything substantial to my resume, and yet, as I shook the potential "boss's" hand, my heart went all a flutter.  Said job quickly became the first place prize I wanted to win and as nervousness washed over me, I classically misspoke, not once, but twice. A stutter here, a mind going blank there, and then it was over.  The cheerleader inside made an attempt at encouragement with some flimsy chants and cartwheels, but I still felt somewhat deflated.  For all I know, I aced the interview and will be receiving an offer tomorrow. But, no matter what happens with this particular job, I can now truly sympathize with the millions of Americans who sit through countless interviews, for jobs they are far overqualified for, only to be rejected time and time again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment