Thursday, October 28, 2010

Atkins Farms

Shortly after moving to the Amherst area, my brother, who is a proud alum of Amherst College, sent me a great list of his favorite sites and restaurants. While chatting with him on the phone about his recommendations I took away two very important pieces of information: Amherst is pronounced "AmERST," the h is silent, and I'd better learn to say it properly to avoid sounding like an uneducated ninny in my new home, AND, more importantly, Atkins Farms is famous for their cider donuts. The very next day I was on my way, mouth watering for this undiscovered delicacy.
On my way into the market I spotted some colorful leaves of the countryside surrounding Hampshire College and Atkins Farms and
some cute as a button, sugar pumpkins. These adorably charming distractions only briefly deterred me from my goal. The glorious cider donuts...
I also acquired some pumpkins and a little gourd. But oh joy, the cider donuts. Soft, sugary rings of wonder. Very similar to cinnamon sugar cake donuts but with a tang of apple cider. So delicious. Ziggy was very jealous as I dug into the appley goodness on the porch. Later, I gave her some cat nip and she forgave me, for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment